Saturday, March 6, 2010

Prince Buster - She Was a Rough Rider 1967


The Prince remains synonymous with ska, while being equally important to rocksteady. From Judge Dread to rude reggae, Prince Buster has left his imprint across Jamaica's musical landscape, both as a singer and a producer. 1967 was a beautiful year, a fact that I am constantly reminded of. As a Prince Buster fan, I am ashamed to say this record managed to stay outside of my reggae-dar for a long time, although I was familliar with most of the big hits on the album. After it was literally placed in my hands by my friend Blair, I have come to realize what many before me already know - this is one of Prince Buster's very finest albums. The album does lack in continuity however, as it is compiled from U.K. singles and some tracks that had not found their way on Bluebeat 45's. I'll admit that the album could have gone without "Dreams to Remember," "Going to the River," and "Bye Bye Baby," but the song "Whine & Grine" alone makes this album legendary. Not to mention "Scorcher," "Hypocrites," "Can't keep On Running," and "Taxation," which shows off the Prince at his most exhiliarting.
  1. Rough Rider
  2. Dreams To Remember
  3. Scorcher
  4. Hypocrites
  5. Walk With Love
  6. Taxation
  7. Bye Bye Baby
  8. Tenderness
  9. Whine & Grine
  10. Can't Keep On Running
  11. Close Together
  12. Going To The River

No comments:

Post a Comment